1) We've scheduled the movers (in 3 weeks to actually come to the house and see what we're moving -- basically an inventory check.) They are going to ask us which items of furniture we want to move, and which are going into storage. They *might* expect an answer other than...um. I, uhhh, don't really know. So, at this point, we haven't decided if we're renting furnished, part-furnished, or unfurnished. I'm assuming I should *probably* make some of these decisions relatively soon. Non?
2) Also, at this point, we really don't live anywhere, which is apparently problematic when you're trying to get a bank account. The bank wants to see documentation that we live somewhere in the U.K - i.e. a bank statement with our names and address on it. So we go through the hassle of changing our U.S. address on our U.S. bank account to the Canadian's address at the UK corporate apartment. (Follow me?)
The UK bank we've decided to go with calls him and said they need another piece of documentation like a utility bill (nope, corporate apartment) or a council tax bill? (negative -- corporate apartment) -- well then, you need another bank account statement...from a different bank. Fortunately we actually have a savings account at a different bank but what if we didn't? Is there such a thing as address discrimination? *sigh* So now we have to change THAT bank's address, wait for that statement to arrive in the U.K. and then...wait for our next bank account drama?
3) The Rotten One is likely not sailing on the boat with us, so now we have some decisions to make. Basically what this necessitates is that she stay with someone here in Austin while we get over there and find a place to rent that will allow dogs. Then we need to get moved in. Then the Canadian will fly back to Texas to pick her up and turn around the next day and fly back to the UK around a month after we arrive in London. So....anyone want a Rotten One for 6 weeks?
4) The Canadian has been scouting out various Mexican food and Southern food places in London. I'm going to try to get him to review a few of them on here for you, just in case you get a hankerin' for something from back home (for you Texpats...or Texas food lovers...) As an aside, I think I'm going to take a few stabs at making my own tortillas. I don't think it's all that difficult and I might be able to make big batches and freeze them while in the UK. If I master them, I'll have a big ol' Texmex party at my new house -- you're all invited.
5) Speaking of that, the Canadian has been checking out the various 'hoods where we might live. He likes a couple of areas Kensington/Chelsea, Hampstead Heath/Primrose Hill or further out London Borough of Wandsworth or Richmond Upon Thames.
6) School is kicking my ass. Which is why I haven't blogged in awhile. I feel like someone should give me a degree in project management since that is pretty much all I do these days -- manage the projects and papers that are due at any given moment.
7) I have also been drinking a lot to manage the stress....
...Ok let's be honest, I always drink a lot, it has nothing to do with stress. I just really like to drink.