And now, a few updates.
1) We've finally resolved our banking dilemmas, and have successfully opened an account. We were originally trying to go with First Direct but they wanted so much documentation that we didn't have so we switched gears and are now proud bankers with...drum roll please....
2) The Canadian is coming home for a 10 day visit this week!!!!! In spite of our nightly Skyping, I'm afraid I'll barely remember what he looks like! Also, I am a little nervous that in the 8 weeks since I've seen him, I've become rather accustomed to having the bed ALL to myself. Not sure I'm terribly excited about sharing again...we'll see :)
3) I'm back in Nola this week and I cannot even tell you how happy I am. I was a grinning fool driving through south Louisiana today, stopping in Lafayette for some phenomenal seafood gumbo and Louisiana shrimp, dirty rice, breaded fries and corn maque choux with giant biscuits and fluffy maple butter. (And yes, it was damn good.) I'm staying with Sonia again and we are already having the best time catching up on gossip (she totally hooked up last night!) and working on our respective presentations. (I have to give mine on the food crisis in Libya tomorrow)
4) The Canadian looked at some houses today -- most of them were *not* ok -- but he did find one that was pretty close to perfect. The neighborhood is a bit edgier than some we've been looking at, but that actually works for me as I tend to prefer a more 'interesting' place to live. In New Orleans, we lived in a beautiful condo building on the edge of the French Quarter....directly juxtaposed to the Saint Louis housing projects. In Austin we built a brand new house, across the street from a crack house. I am not lying when I say that a guy from the house offered me a free sample of crack on Christmas Day -- I can assure you I did NOT accept -- however, I did appreciate his Christmas spirit. (We actually worked with the city to get the crack house shut down, but nonetheless, it was a part of our lives for a couple of years...)
4) And finally...I have two fabulous giveaways coming up...so stay tuned!!!!
Love from New Orleans,